As our mid-summer’s night dream begins to fade with the realization that the sunny season is slowly fleeting, we can’t help but feel like summer has passed us by. Especially since we’ve still got a few things to cross off our summer bucket lists. But being the adventurous ATLiens we are, we plan on cramming as much summertime goodness into the month of August as humanly possible. Below, our top ten action items (in no particular order) for squeezing every last drop of summer out of August:
1. Squeeze in one last pool day, with a twist. (Literally.) We can simultaneously perfect our tan and our tree pose at a yoga pool party, or go low-brow (and possibly nekkid) at one of the many swimmin' holes near ATL. We've heard tales of rope swings, y'all.
2. Unleash your inner Picasso (while sipping a few cocktails) with a BYOB Painting Class. Get crafty and creative with the last of your free time and create a masterpiece for remembering our summer of fun. Nothin’ wrong with gettin’ our hands dirty.
3. Catch the last of the outdoor summer movies. A few are still going strong like Candler Park Movie Nights. Of course, if you're looking for what some may consider the ultimate in summer movie-watching escapades, pack up your cooler and your grill and make a pilgrimage to the Starlight Six. (It could be sleeting at the Starlight and it'd still feel like summer to us.)
4. Shoot the 'Hooch. Cold? Pshaw. Those 60-degree waters will only make you feel more aliiiiive. (And besides, it's only going to get colder.) Wallow around in the Chattahoochee aboard a fetching tube for a couple miles and see the 'burbs in a whole new light.
5. Go on a brewery tour!. Because when the mercury drops and the days darken, you'll always faithfully have Red Brick or Orpheus’ award winning suds at your side.
6. Sink your teeth into a delicious Georgia peach at a local farmer’s market. (Or an equally delicious Georgia peaches 'n cream pop from King of Pops.) Because in our minds, it just ain't summer 'til you've had the sweet, messy pleasure of Georgia's greatest export.
7. Witness the carnage and glory of the Atlanta Rollergirls. Haven't had the chance to spend your Saturday afternoon cheering on the likes of Violent Beauregarde and Jumbo Shrimp? You only have a couple more chances left as their 2014 season winds down.
8. Revel in the patriotic, pyrotechnic glory of the Stone Mountain Laser Show. Now with more fireworks! (Seriously, though – it really does have more fireworks this year.) This summertime tradition has been an Atlanta staple for three decades, and in our humble opinion, you just can't let August slip by without spending 45 minutes basking in the utter majesty of country music paired with firepower, Civil War ephemera and lasers. Pew pew pew pew pew!
9. Try each and beverage available at Trader Vic's. For best results, make that all in one night. Take that, rain! (Pro-tip: might want to organize a designated driver… and possibly a trip to the dentist the next day. Those Mai Tais are essentially just boozed-up Pixie Sticks.)
10. Release your inner tourist and spend the day at The Georgia Aquarium or for one night only, go under the sea and behind the scenes at GA Aquarium Sea Nights.
There ya have it, folks! May our last days of summer be filled with frivolous adventures.
Scoutmob Local Editorial Intern Brittany Maher is a self-proclaimed word nerd, coffee connoisseur and lover of all things comedy. Currently a senior at Kennesaw State University, Brittany is Editor-in-Chief of her university’s student run newspaper, The Sentinel. She has infinite knowledge of 90’s sitcoms and will almost always beat you in Scrabble.